KYOCERA Introduces New LCD Panels for Automotive Head-Up-Displays
Unique platform structure shortens lead times, allowing samples to be shipped as early as next day
23 April 2018
Kyoto/London – KYOCERA today announced a new line of high-performance, high-resolution liquid-crystal display (LCD) panels specifically designed for automotive Head-Up-Displays (HUDs). These LCDs offer high light transmittance, high resolution, and the industry’s widest operating temperature range for optimal performance in automotive HUD applications.
Kyocera HUD LCD Specifications
|Size (diagonally)||Resolution||Interface||Contrast Ratio||Transmittance|
|1.12”||300 x 160 (302 ppi)||CMOS||1200:1||7.1 %|
|1.8”||480 x 240 (298 ppi)||CMOS||1200:1||8.5 %|
|3.1”||800 x 480 (297 ppi)||LVDS||1700:1||8.5 %|
Other display sizes available upon request.
HUD: Extreme Operating Requirements
Developed originally for defense aircraft, HUD technology can improve automotive safety and reduce driver fatigue by projecting vehicle speed, navigation and other data directly onto a car’s windshield – where drivers can view it in their line of sight. This requires a display that performs well in lighting conditions ranging from full sunlight to total darkness. Additionally, since data and images are scaled up when projected onto a windshield, HUD technology requires high-resolution imaging to allow enlargement with no perceptible loss of detail or sharpness. Meeting these requirements in the automotive environment requires imaging components that deliver exceptional luminance, contrast and pixel density, with an extremely wide operating temperature range, since vehicles may travel to the coldest and hottest climates on Earth.
Kyocera’s Advanced HUD Technology
Kyocera’s new HUD LCDs provide light transmittance up to an ultra-high 8.5 %, and typical contrast ratios of up to 1700:1. Their low temperature polysilicon technology delivers pixel density of approximately 300 ppi, about twice that of conventional LCDs – and an 85-degree viewing angle* with no color shift, through Kyocera’s Advanced Wide Viewing technology (AWVII). Additionally, Kyocera HUD LCDs offer an operating temperature range of -40°C to +105°C, the broadest currently available among automotive displays.
“Kyocera brings four decades of LCD innovation to the automotive engineer’s unique challenges when integrating HUD technology into any vehicle platform,” said Kazuaki Ohara, manager of Kyocera’s automotive display sales division. “We are partnering with tier-one automotive brands to help bring this exciting new technology into all vehicles.”
Kyocera is a preferred supplier of high-performance LCD displays for automotive, industrial and medical equipment. All Kyocera TFT-LCDs are RoHS compliant to reduce or eliminate potentially hazardous substances.
* Viewing angle specification: 85 degrees in four directions (above, below, left and right) with contrast ratio not less than 10:1.
For more information on KYOCERA: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for technical information:
Dr. Matthias Neundorf
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- KYOCERA Launches 0.5 mm-Pitch FPC/FFC Connectors with automated and visual checks to prevent misalignment
- KYOCERA DOCUMENT SOLUTIONS AMERICA APPOINTS OSCAR SANCHEZ AS NEW PRESIDENT
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 28MW Solar Power Plant in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan
- KYOCERA TO BUILD THIRD PLANT AT VIETNAM SITE TO INCREASE PRODUCTION CAPACITY
- Sharp, sharper, Shin White
- KYOCERA CONTINUES GROWTH IN DATA MANAGEMENT WITH ACQUISITION OF SOFTWARE PROVIDER ALOS
- KYOCERA MAKES PRINTING EASIER WITH AMAZON DASH REPLENISHMENT INTEGRATION
- High tech meets the perfect steak: KYOCERA presents steak knives with sharp and long-lasting ceramic blades
- KYOCERA designs and manufactures new ultra-small robust ceramic UHF RFID Tag to trace surgical instruments for the Medical Market
- KYOCERA to Participate in Japan’s Virtual Power Plant Project to Improve Energy Management
- Announcement of the 2018 Kyoto Prize Laureates
- KYOCERA’S ECOLOGY COMMITMENT LEADS TO GREEN DESIGNATION OF 99% OF PRODUCTS
- New KYOCERA Electronic Connectors Offer World’s Highest Mating Tolerance, Withstand up to +125°C
- KYOCERA TCL Solar Completes 29.2MW Solar Power Plant on Repurposed Land in Japan
- KYOCERA’s New Industrial Cutting Tool with Ultra-Durable Coating Materials Maximizes Steel Cutting Performance